Stengl Biolgical Research Station was donated to the University of Texas in September of 1991 by UT alumna Dr. Lorraine "Casey" Stengl. Historically, this region was logged for timber and the open areas were used to graze cattle. Though there has been no logging in the area since the early 1900's the oldest pines are roughly 60 years old. Natural senescence thins the forest of its oldest trees.
As part of the overall management plan, parts of the property have been mechanically cleared to open up meadow areas increasing the overall diversity. The most recent clearing occurred in the winter of 2007/2008.